DIRECTOR OF ATHLETICS
Posted: February 2, 2016
St. Edward High School is searching for a leader who will oversee, develop and enhance our highly successful athletic program. The successful candidate will develop a strong vision for the department, will understand how athletics complements our Holy Cross mission, and will be a great judge and supporter of the people under his or her supervision. The Athletic Director must have an attention to detail, have strong interpersonal skills, and be a thoughtful, articulate, and experienced leader who demonstrates the ability to lead a dynamic constituency toward a common goal.
The Director of Athletics reports directly to and is accountable to the Executive Vice President. This person will work with the President, Principal, and Director of Finance to develop strategic plans, timelines and budgets. The Director of Athletics is a member of the Administrative Board and will work closely with all administrators in carrying out the mission of St. Edward High School effectively and seamlessly.
• To lead by activity and example: to develop, organize, supervise and evaluate the entire program of interscholastic athletics for the entire school.
• To manage the overall athletic office personnel activities, including the hiring, training, supervision and evaluation of the office and coaching staff to help them successfully meet their responsibilities. Replace team members as appropriate.
• To ensure that all coaches are performing their duties at the very highest level of professionalism.
• To ensure that all coaching positions are filled with competent mission-driven coaches who are properly trained in all organizational and philosophical aspects of the athletic program.
• To insure that all coaches are in compliance with the OHSSA regulations, ODE regulations, with the Diocese (Virtus training) and have up-to-date FBI background checks and all required paperwork on file before coaches are allowed to coach.
• To maintain and revise the coaches’ manual each year and set up appropriate meetings with the coaches to review the information and standards in detail.
• To ensure the health and safety of all students in the athletic program.
• To secure and work with the health professionals and training staff to support and insure excellent health care for our students.
• To ensure the proper maintenance and security of all athletic equipment and athletic facilities, fields and courts, working in coordination with the director of facilities.
• To organize (and submit to the VP of Admission/Marketing) regular information on the various programs for public recognition of athletic achievements.
• To prepare, submit, and administer a budget each year to fund the athletic programs of the school.
• To complete the scheduling of all athletic contests, arrange for athletic transportation, and hire all game officials.
• To represent the school at various state, regional and national athletic associations.
• To maintain records of team and individual athletic accomplishments and submit copies of same to the development office for historical purposes.
• To oversee the distribution, collection, cleaning, repair and storage of all athletic uniforms and equipment.
• To interpret and implement the policies of the athletic program within the framework of established policies of the Administration, the O.H.S.A.A., and the revised code of the State of Ohio.
• To stay informed of new ideas, new concepts and changes in interscholastic athletics and make recommendations to the Administration for improvement of the athletic program.
• To work with the Booster Club and the Alumni Association leadership in supporting the total co-curricular program such as the awards program, attendance at meetings, assistance in fundraising, and other activities between the school and other outside groups.
• To develop strategic community, grade school and business partnerships in the community.
• To perform other duties as assigned by the head of school.
• A high level of integrity, warmth, confidence, a positive outlook, a good sense of humor, and a strong work ethic focused on achieving excellence.
• Ability to remain calm and collected under pressure.
• Ability to interact effectively and earn the respect of all the constituencies of the school community; the head of school, the administration, staff, faculty, the Board of Trustees, alumni, parents, and friends of the school.
• Knowledge of how to effectively market and communicate the values and mission of the school both internally and externally.
• Excellent communication skills, both oral and written.
• Ability to manage multiple projects and work closely with administration, parents, alumni, faculty, foundations and volunteers.
• Ability and interest in managing, developing and mentoring staff.
• A strong commitment to Catholic school education, especially our Holy Cross Tradition.
• 5+ years of athletic or other management experience required, preferably in higher education.
St. Edward High School, a Catholic school in the Holy Cross tradition, educates the minds and hearts of young men to have the competence to see and the courage to act as men of faith.
We believe in:
Faith - formation of young men in the Holy Cross Tradition
Excellence - an ongoing commitment to excellence in academic and co-curricular programs
Relationships - a welcoming, family-oriented school community that fosters relationships Servant Leadership - a Christ-like commitment to genuine lead through service to others
INTERESTED CANDIDATES MAY FORWARD THEIR RESUMES TO:
Rose Anne Platek
St. Edward High School
13500 Detroit Avenue
Lakewood, Ohio 44107